Friday, June 18, 2010

A few mornings ago I had the opportunity to go for a walk in the Tiergarten.  I stopped by Duncan Doughnuts and grabbed some coffee and a food thingie, and out I went.  On my journey, I discovered 2 things...

First off, the Ducks of Berlin are of the opinion that there are 2, and only 2 types of people.  People who feed the ducks, and people who do not feed the ducks.  I discovered this while eating my food thingie.  As I sat and ate the ducks maintained about 15 feet of distance.  With one bite of food left, I decided to share some with the ducks.  As soon as I threw the first crumb I made quite a few new friends, and the 15 feet turned into 15 inches.


Secondly, I have a certain fondness and fascination with the walking surfaces of Germany.  There is so much more variation.  My favorite thing is that they pave the sidewalks with gillions of 2"x2" rough cut stones.  It a nice surface to walk on.  It's not too rough, and not slippery.  It is interesting, and it flows around corners nicely.  This isn't the only type of paving over here that I have grown fond of, but it is certainly the most common that we don't see much of in the U.S.  


3 comments:

  1. You have some lovely pictures on this blog. The pavement does look different from around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second picture. You're right. It was one of my favs on Picasa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food Thingie.

    Son. Before you can conquer an addiction, you must first Admit to It.

    So. Go ahead and call it a sugar coated sprinkle dinkled extra glaze donut...

    That's the first step.

    Great walkways AND Duncan Donuts? Heaven.

    ReplyDelete